history of the chapel
We trace our roots to The Furnace Street Mission where newlyweds Carl and Agnes Burnham served before transforming a
20- x 50- foot storeroom into a church on Akron’s near west side.
The first service at The Chapel at Five Points was held on Jan. 15, 1934. Carl’s father, B.A. Burnham, preached at the 10:30am service; Carl preached at 7:30pm that day. Between 40 and 50 people attended.
1936 – 1955
In 1936, the growing church began raising money to purchase a lot of their own at the corner of Brown and Vine. Once there, volunteers built the basement of the structure where the congregation met for years. By 1947 when the building was completed, The Chapel at Brown and Vine had 450 members.
When The Chapel outgrew its building at Brown and Vine, members voted to purchase a more centrally-located property nearby. The cornerstone was laid on Palm Sunday 1954. On March 27, 1955, 1,000 men, women and children walked from Brown and Vine to The Chapel’s new home on Fir Hill. They sang hymns all the way.
From the beginning, there was a spirit of unity and oneness. When Carl Burnham died unexpectedly in 1962 following heart surgery, the church officially called his son David Burnham as senior pastor. The congregation purchased a camp in Edinburg, OH in 1964, renaming it Camp Carl in Carl Burnham’s memory. By 1969, membership had grown to 3,200.
Dave and his wife, Sue, wrote neighborhood Bible study materials and trained members who hosted more than 100 Bible studies in their homes throughout the Akron area. Campus ministries at the University of Akron and Kent State, and popular Christmas and Easter concerts were added during these years.
In 1982, Dave left Akron to pastor a church in Florida. Following an extensive search, Knute Larson and his wife, Jeanine, came here in 1983.
1983 – 2009
Under Knute’s leadership, Adult Bible Fellowships, ABFs, grew and the church helped ‘sister’ churches get started in Marlboro, North Canton, Kent, Hudson, Tinkers Creek, Sandusky and Medina. Knute was a familiar face around town – recognized from his :60 and :30 second television messages about faith, active on local boards and proactively partnering with Pastor Ron Fowler and the Arlington Church of God as leaders in a racial reconciliation movement.
With attendance hovering at around 8,000 and multiple services maxed out, ‘20/20: The Next Chapter’ was launched. In June of 2003, the Green Campus opened its doors and The Chapel officially became ‘One Church, Two Locations.’
As Knute planned for retirement, a search began for the next senior pastor. Paul Sartarelli, who had planted the Riverwood Chapel in Kent, accepted the call. Paul came with his wife, Susie, in a unique transitional phase in 2006. Knute officially passed the baton to Paul in June 2009.
During Paul’s tenure, the Chapel hosted a conference to raise awareness of human trafficking, discipleship programs grew and The Chapel became one church in three locations by receiving Valleyview Chapel in Wadsworth as a third campus. In 2012, Paul announced that God was calling him away from The Chapel. The search for a new leader began.
2014 – Today
In mid-2014, Pastor Tim Armstrong and his wife, Michelle, came to The Chapel from Mansfield, where Tim planted then pastored Crossroads Community Church for 17 years. Tim brought a new vision and leadership style to The Chapel. He began by defining the church’s core values as ‘The Four B’s: Believing in Jesus, Belonging to Family, Becoming Disciples and Building His Kingdom.’
Recognizing that unchurched people are more likely to visit new church plants than to venture into long-established church buildings, Pastor Tim set a new goal for The Chapel churches to plant 10 new churches in 10 years as part of a movement to saturate Northeast Ohio and beyond with the gospel.
On Easter Sunday 2014, The Chapel, Kenmore campus, held its first Sunday service. An Easter 2018 launch is planned for our fifth campus in Cuyahoga Falls.